Engagement Session Tips
Tips for an awesome engagement session
Engagement sessions are, in my opinion, one of the funnest parts of the pre-wedding time. You've booked an amazing venue, found the perfect dress and suit, and of course were kind enough to allow me into your lives to capture the big day, now it's time make some awesome images! For many couples, the engagement session is the first time they've been photographed professionally with each other. Knowing that, here are my tips for an awesome engagement session together!
Personally I'm game to shoot where ever you would like to go, and there are endless locations, but here are some ideas to get the ball rolling.
- Make it personal! Where you first meet, where you got engaged, your favorite date night location, your home town. Having a personal connection always makes for an amazing time.
- The city you love! Boston, NYC, Hartford, Providence, New Haven..the list goes on and on. City's provide tons of locations and awesome backdrops.
- By the water! Who doesn't love a kick ass sunset photo at the beach or on the rocks! This is always a great Summer time idea!
- Classic New England! Downtown Mystic, The Stonington Borough, Beacon Hill, Newport, maybe even your home town has that classic New England charm!
- The Fall! Living in New England, why not capture the colors of Autumn at a local park or in the woods!
- A vineyard! Good in the Spring, Summer, and Fall.
- A farm!
- State Park!
The best time of day for photography in my opinion is late afternoon, usually the hour before sunset going into sunset. This time of day is what we call the "golden hour" where the sun is lower in the horizon creating a softer more golden light, perfect for photography. With that said, I'm happy to shoot whenever your schedule allows for it!
Take the day off
Your engagement session should be a fun, stress free time. Taking the day off from work is always nice, and it makes the session more of an event then just a one hour session. My motto is to enjoy the whole day together, not just the time you're in front of the camera.
Hair & Make Up
If possible, I suggest planning your hair and make up trial on the day of your engagement session, that also goes along with my suggestion to take the day off. This will allow you to see how your hair and make up will look in photographs, and you wont have to worry about doing it yourself for your session!
What to wear
I always suggest wearing clothing that you love, showcases your personality, and that your comfortable in. Many couples bring a change of outfits to change into quickly half way through their session. One suggestion is to bring a more casual outfit, and a outfit you might wear for a night out on the town that's a little more chic. There's no pressure to bring two outfits, this is all about you, so whatever you would like to do is what I suggest.
Bringing the pup (s)
I'm a dog lover, April and I have a lovable JRT ourselves and if he was around when we got engaged, he would have been in some of our photos. Feel free to bring along your pup or pups. I do suggest bringing along someone to watch them when they're not in photos so you don't have to keep an eye on them. If you're planning on bringing along your pup, I ask that you please let me know in advance :-)
My last tip is the most important, be yourselves. I keep sessions really laid back and fun. Remember to be yourselves and I will take care of the rest :-)